Supporting children with allergies or medical conditions
Policy for children with dietary requirements requiring medication.
We appreciate you may have already supplied us with your child’s medication, health care plan and a medication consent form and thank you for doing so. We just wish to ensure everyone using our service is aware of the protocol.
Creative Kidz Childcare Ltd cater for all dietary requirements parents have notified us about, these could be anything from food preferences to food allergies. Please be reassured, we are very experienced in caring for children with allergies, dietary requirements and medical conditions. We have at least 1 designated first aider in every setting and our team are trained how to recognise the signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis and how to administer emergency medication-i.e- inhalers, antihistamine and auto injector pens. We are also a nut free setting.
There are several steps we need to take to ensure your child’s wellbeing whilst attending our breakfast, after school or holiday clubs. We aim to cater to all individual needs however we need to ensure compliance with the club Allergy and anaphylaxis policy, medication policy and risk asessments plus Dept For Education, Ofsted and Insurance company guidelines.
- It is the responsibility of the Parent and/or the Guardian, herein called the Parent, to inform the club that his or her Child, herein called the Child, has allergies or is anaphylactic or potentially anaphylactic upon registration or as soon as the child is diagnosed.
- The child’s parent/carer must enter medical and dietary information upon registration with Creative Kidz on kids club hq and they must verbally notify the Manager.
- If you anticipate your child will require anything other than a standard first aid response, please provide detailed written recommendations on your kids club hq account.
- If your child has an allergy or medical condition requiring administration of treatment or medication, but does not suffer from anaphylaxis, please complete the health care plan.
- If your child has an allergy or medical condition which may result in anaphylaxis, please complete the allergy and anaphylaxis care plan
- If your child requires medication for their condition, please complete a medication consent form and either scan it back to us at firstname.lastname@example.org in advance of your child’s 1st day.
- Parents must supply Creative Kidz Childcare Ltd with their child’s prescribed medication which must stay in our possession for the duration of the child’s attendance.
- Please give all required medication to the club staff –All medication provided must be labelled by a registered pharmacist and have the sticker attached which includes the child’s name, the date or administration, name of medication and the dosage. Never leave medication in your child’s bag!
- If your child has been prescribed an Inhaler, please supply 1 inhaler and spacer if required, this must be supplied together with a medication consent form and health care plan.
- If your child has been prescribed Auto-Injector/adrenaline pens, please supply 2 x adrenaline pens which must be supplied together with a medication consent form and an anaphylaxis care plan.
- The child’s Parent/carer must ensure that all supplied medication is always in date and fit for purpose.
- Responsibility to ensure the medication is “In Date” rests with the parent/guardian. They should note the expiration date and provide new medication prior to expiration.
- Parents must keep us updated with any developments or changes to their child’s condition by sending an email to enable us to keep a paper email@example.com
- The Parent/carer must sign a declaration upon registration with Creative Kidz to give authorisation to Creative Kidz staff to administer emergency medication if and when required.
Adrenaline pen shortage:
We recognise there is currently a national shortage resulting in difficulties for parents obtaining these “extra” pens, so we have been looking into purchasing an “emergency” pen. We are also aware that your child’s school need to hold medication for the same children to satisfy requirements of their own ofsted registration, policies and procedures and risk assessment, however we are a separate registered company we do not have access to school emergency medication out of school hours.
In addition we cannot manage statutory requirements for storage, availability, expiry dates or record information relating to such medication if it’s held by the school, meaning we would not be guaranteed availability of the medication in an emergency situation.
We have been looking into purchasing an “emergency” adrenaline pen for each setting however, unfortunately it has been confirmed today that clubs are not able to purchase these “emergency” pens, they are only available to schools. We have also sought additional guidance from Childrens services who said “Generally in our work we ask for parents to provide for any medical or dietary needs for children that are not within the range of resources/equipment supplied by your service”.
Therefore we need to advise all parents that our usual policy will continue to apply-See below.
Thank you for your co-operation, if you have any questions or queries, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
If you would like a place for your child at our clubs, please make an appointment and we'll gladly take the time to explain everything you need to know. You can make an appointment by phone or by using our contact form. We look forward to meeting you!
+44 02380 455699+44 02380 455699